MASAM removed 10,820 mines planted by the Houthis
The Saudi Mine Clearance Project in Yemen (MASAM) announced on Sunday that 10,820 mines and unexploded munitions planted by Houthi militias were extracted in October in a number of Yemeni liberated governorates and areas.
“In October, our teams cleared 10,820 mines, unexploded ordnance and explosive devices,” Osama al-Gosaibi, general manager of the Pore Demining Project, said in a statement.
He added: “During the last week of October, we removed 2209 mines and unexploded ordnance. The teams removed during a week 1712 unexploded ordnance and 29 explosive devices.
After 16 months of hard work, the Saudi mine clearance project in Yemen cleared hundreds of kilometers of land planted with mines, improvised explosive devices and unexploded ordnance.
According to Algosaibi, the project “pore” was able to remove more than 100,000 mines, explosive device and unexploded ordnance from the beginning of the project .
The Yemeni government says engineering teams and regional and international programs have extracted nearly 500,000 mines and explosive devices since the beginning of the war.
According to official statements, there are more than a million and a half mines and an explosive device still planted and has not been cleared.
A human rights report said that since the Houthi militia turned against the legitimate authority in September 2014, Houthi militias have adopted a systematic strategy in the use of mines and explosives of all kinds.
He stressed that the cultivation of mines, which are unique to the Houthi militias in Yemen, made yemen “one of the largest minefields on earth.”
Read more related articles about the yemen: https://www.yemenwatch.com/category/uncategorized/