New UN Entry to Hodeidah Mills Could Assist In Yemen Aid Operation
On Tuesday, the United Nations reclaimed access to grains facility near Yemen’s Hodeidah port, likely allowing an increase in food aid to millions of Yemenis who face the risk of starvation and famine after facing years of destructive war, according to some humanitarian officials.
The progress was announced by U.N. Secretary-General Antonio Guterres at a humanitarian pledging conference in Geneva targeted at preventing famine in Yemen. However, discussions directed at securing a withdrawal from Hodeidah by Iran-allied Houthi forces seizing the city and Saudi-led coalition forces appeared halted again regardless of U.N. attempts to clear the way to broader dialogue on ending the conflict.
Western diplomats stated that an analysis of the grains stores in the port had been conducted but the conflicting sides still needed to accede on which road should be taken to ferry supplies from the granary site to the needy recipients.
Guterres said $2.6 billion has been pledged so far towards a U.N. appeal of $4.2 billion this year for Yemen, where 24 million people, or 80 percent of the population of the Arabian Peninsula nation, are in need of aid.
The WFP grain stores at the Red Sea Mills have over 51,000 tonnes of wheat but have been blocked in the conflict zone for six months, putting the grains at the risk of getting rotted.
A WFP team went to the Red Mills premises reviewed on how much grain is present and that has been damaged, Stephen Anderson, WFP Yemen country director told reporters.
Anderson told reporters at the Geneva dialogue that there is enough grain for 3.7 million people and it would go for a month. Given that Yemen is facing the world’s worst humanitarian crisis or emergency presently, people are in desperate need of this aid.
The WFP is now reaching out to 10 million Yemenis per month with food assistance and hopes to increase to 12 million this year, but it is a complex operation in war areas.