Yemen… The United Nations reached an agreement with the Houthis to resume the distribution of food

July 19, 2019

The World Food Program (WFP) chief has reached an initial agreement with Yemen’s Houthi group Ansar Allah to resume the distribution of food aid in the areas it controls.

“The agreement will allow the rapid distribution of food in Sana’a, although the two sides have not formally signed the agreement yet,” said WFP World Program Director David Paisley.”

I can say that we have made great progress,” he said. “There are about 30 million people living in Yemen, more than two-thirds of whom are food insecure, and that means20 million women, men, boys, and girls.

“The ceasefire in the port of Hodeidah may finally allow us to focus on the political process before the end of this summer,” warned UN envoy Martin Griffith of Yemen.

Millions of Yemenis suffer from malnutrition after four years of civil war, but the United Nations suspended food aid distributions in the Houthi control areas last month after accusations of “embezzlement” and failure to deliver aid to its beneficiaries.

Article Tags: · · ·

Comments