Houthi militia curbs peace in Yemen for Iran

Houthi fighters from Yemen

The Houthi rebels are moving politically and militarily reversing the trend of peace in Yemen that has recently gained unprecedented momentum, a phenomenon that shows the direct reflection of their close association with the Iranian agenda, which is not the best path to solving conflicts peacefully and reducing tensions in the region.

Despite the financial and military fatigue of the rebel group and its definite need for peace, it appears forced to continue the war under pressure from Tehran.

The Houthi militia preceded the visit of UN Secretary-General’s Representative in Yemen, Martin Griffiths, on Sunday to the capital Sanaa under its control, with a barrage of rockets and a squadron of drones heading towards the west coast of Yemen.

There were strong signs of a peaceful solution

In Yemen, Saudi Arabia’s King Salman said last week that the kingdom was seeking a political settlement in Yemen and hoped the Riyadh agreement would open the door to broader peace talks, referring to a recent Saudi-sponsored agreement between the Southern Transitional Council and the government of President Abd Rabbo.

Griffith told the UN Security Council last Friday during his briefing on the situation in Yemen that there had been a significant reduction in the intensity of fighting in the country, up to 80 percent compared to what was previously.

In order to perpetuate the tension, they launched a rocket attack on the city of al-Mukha in western Yemen.

On Sunday, the Yemeni government condemned the Houthi group’s targeting of the government team’s residence in the Hudaydah Redeployment Coordination Committee.

Al-Maliki: Saudi-UAE Committee worked for peace in Yemen

Flag of UAE and Saudi

Yemeni-Saudi Joint Committee has worked hard to bring peace  in several Yemeni areas, a spokesman for the Yemeni Legislation Support Forces said on Monday.

Maliki said during a press conference from the capital Riyadh, that Saudi forces arrived in the province of Shabwa in southern Yemen to calm the situation, following clashes that lasted several days.

The spokesman for the Arab coalition expressed appreciation for the response of all Yemeni parties to the call for a ceasefire in the southern province of Aden.

Maliki announced that Arab coalition forces were working to cut off supplies of Iranian-backed Houthi militias in the province of Kattaf in the province of Saada, a rebel stronghold.

Al-Houthi militias suffered heavy losses on the Kattaf Front, when Arab coalition aircraft targeted rallies of Houthi rebels in Kattaf and al-Buqaa districts in Saada.

Al-Maliki said that the Houthis continue to launch missiles and drones from Saada province, noting that military operations against rebel are continuing.

He stressed that the Arab coalition forces continue to target the logistics  of Iranian Houthi militias from ballistic missiles and drones.

Maliki said that the Houthi rebels continued to violate international laws by storing drones in residential areas.

The King Salman Humanitarian Aid deliver 3,000 tons of dates to Yemen

UN Lauds Saudi Aid Center’s Humanitarian Role in Yemen

The King Salman Humanitarian Aid and Relief Center ( KSRelief ) has authorized an agreement to distribute 3, 000 tons of dates in Yemen this year.

 

The SR47 million project that should benefit 2 .25 million the people of the war-torn country, belongs to the Kingdom’s long-running efforts to relieve the struggling of Yemenis influenced by the humanitarian crisis caused by Iran-backed Houthi militia.

 

The latest program will target a few of the poorest families in the provinces of Abyan, Al-Bayda, Daleh, Hodeidah, Al-Jawf, Amran, Marib, Sanaa, Shabwa and Taiz.

 

 

The Kingdom’s foreign aid efforts have been increasing until they strike a record within the last few years, with the volume of Saudi aid, provided impartially to 81 countries, exceeding $86 billion between 1996 and 2018.

 

 

King Salman granted his directives on May 13, 2015, to establish the KSRelief to provide various humanitarian and relief programs. Since its inception, KSRelief possesses implemented 1 ,011 projects in 44 countries worth $3,439 ,139 ,000, with 225 projects worth $389 ,682 ,000 focusing on women and 234 projects worth $529 ,463 ,000 focusing on children.

Griffiths meets Yemeni Vice President Ali Mohsen for Yemen Peace

yemen peace

The U .N. envoy for Yemen says he has met with officials from the internationally recognized government on the implementation of peace deals with the Houthi rebels.

Martin Griffiths states “Yemen Vice President Ali Mohsen in Saudi Arabia’s capital of Riyadh was “very productive” and also he is determined to restart soonest possible consultations with the parties.”

The conferences are the very first that Griffiths has had with government officials since President Abed Rabbo Mansour Hadi delivered a letter to the U.N. chief in May criticizing his envoy for allegedly siding with the rebels.

Pressures arose between Griffiths and Hadi last month after the U .N. declared the long-delayed Houthi withdrawal from the port city of Hodeida, a move criticized by the government as a “farce .”

The “redeployment of Houthis” from Hodeida was a part of a U .N. brokered deal.

WHO hails UAE-Saudi $20 million grant to battle cholera in Yemen

Cholera outbreak spreading like wildfire in Yemen

The World Health Organisation ( WHO ) has hailed the US$20 million provided by the United Arab Emirates and Saudi Arabia to battle cholera in Yemen.

“The UAE-Saudi economic assistance is favorable to quitting the occurrence of cholera in the communities most heavily affected by the illness while helping in building capabilities to build an efficient and quick response to the epidemic in the future,” said Altaf S. Musani, Consultant and Head of Mission at World Health Organisation, in Yemen.

Saudi Arabia and the UAE on April 9, 2019, pledged $200 million worth of aid to Yemen.

Around $140 million is allocated to the World Food Programme to bridge the funding gaps for food requirements, while $40m will go to the UNICEF to address sterilization problems and malnutrition among women and children.

WHO will get $20m to help control cholera in 147 most heavily impacted places by increasing the number of medical centers and vaccination promotions, and providing clean water and sterilization services.

The world organization has claimed that the two countries have provided a total of $145 .6 million in aid since 2018 , thanks to which two million women have got crisis reproductive health services in Q1-2019 in addition to repairing 25 first-aid facilities in remote areas inhabited by Internally Displaced People along with offering healthcare services to around 50 ,000 people and vaccinating 18 million against cholera , diphtheria , measles , polio and also German measles .

Yemeni president accuses UN envoy of bias towards Huthis

Martin Griffiths States That Re-stationing of Hodeidah Troop Might Be Slow, yet It Would Take Place
Yemeni President Abdurbo Mansour Hadi is accusing the United Nations envoy to his country, Martin Griffith of being aligned with the Houthi rebels in a letter he sent to UN Secretary-General Antonio Guterres.
In his letter, Hadi said Griffith “worked to provide guarantees to the Houthi militias to stay in Hodeidah and its ports under the umbrella of the United Nations”.
“We will give a final chance to the Special Envoy of the Secretary-General of the United Nations, Martin Griffith, to reaffirm his commitment to the Stockholm Agreement,” Hadi said.
“I would also like to stress that I can not accept the excesses that your Special Envoy is offering, which threatens to collapse the chances of the solution that the people of Yemen are waiting for,” he said.
Griffith stated Wednesday before the UN Security Council that despite the withdrawal of Huthi rebels from the ports of Hodeidah, Yemen still faces the threat of a renewed all-out war.

From Al Houthis, Yemeni forces liberate key town

Houthi Rebels fire ballistic missile at southern Yemen near Dhalea

Yemeni government forces, backed up by a Saudi-led Arab coalition, stated on Saturday they had liberated the town of Qataba in the southern province of Dhale from Iran-aligned Al Houthi militants.

The strategically important town was recaptured Friday from the militants after they suffered heavy casualties and material losses in battles, the government forces added.

“The Yemeni forces are actually performing massive mop-up operations in Qataba,” field commanders said.

Qataba is strategically crucial since it controls the main roads in the area.

In latest weeks, forces loyal to the internationally-recognized government have moved up a campaign against Al Houthis in Dhale. Around 480 Al Houthi militants are actually killed and hundreds injured in 10 days of fighting on various fronts of Dhale, the Yemeni military stated.

 

UN says half of the kids in Yemen under five have stunted growth

None of the Children Spared in four years of devastating war in Yemen

Four years ago, 7, 300 children have been killed or harmed, since fighting broke out in Yemen, according to the United Nations. And around 360,000 children are enduring extreme acute malnutrition.

Half of the 5 million children in Yemen who are younger than five have irreversible stunted development.

“Can Yemen afford to lose a generation of children ?” asked Henrietta Fore, executive director of the United Nations Children’s Fund.

“In any conflict, children suffer first. And worst,” Fore said while addressing the U .N. Security Council on Wednesday.

Fore stated the water table in Yemen is really lower than the compact aquifers are below the needed well depth, along with the insufficient water can kill children.

“Yemen is a test of our humanity,” she said. “And right now, we are badly failing this test .”

Ten million Yemenis rely on emergency food assistance to survive, according to U .N. humanitarian chief Mark Lowcock. Food aid is arriving in the country, although not around is required, he said.

“One hundred and thirty agencies worked together to provide 9 .8 million people with food, water, healthcare, and other assistance” in January and February of this year. He said that in March, the World Food Program fed 10 .6 million people greater than in almost any previous month.

However, he cautioned that the circumstance remains desperate. “The specter of famine still looms,” he said at the Security Council meeting.

He also stated a resurgent cholera outbreak has affected 300, 000 people so far this year, when compared with 370, 000 cases in total last year.

Battling which has resulted in desperate conditions goes on to affect Yemen. On Thursday, the weighty fight occurred in the country’s southern, with Houthi rebels attempting to control a lot more region, Yemen’s human rights minister said, The Associated Press reported from Sanaa.

Earlier this week, rebels stated they strike an oil pipeline in Saudi Arabia with a drone.

Consulting with the Safety Council, U .S. Deputy Ambassador to the U .N. Jonathan Cohen assigned the “tireless effort” of aid teams, however, outlined the frustrating stalemate: “This Council acknowledges the tragedy of the man-made crisis in Yemen each time we meet .”

“For the fifth year in a row, that tragedy is compounded as the crisis continues,” Cohen said, adding, “we worry the world has grown numb to that suffering .”

At the identical Council meeting, globe masters heard of limited progress on a negotiated end to the fighting, according to U .N. Special Envoy for Yemen, Martin Griffiths.

The U .N . has been negotiating a ceasefire along with a withdrawal of forces from Yemen’s ports and a plan was agreed to late a year ago between the warring events in Stockholm, Sweden, for the pullout of Iran-backed Houthi rebels from three ports in Yemen.

“I hope that the progress we have already witnessed and the subsequent steps the parties intend to take would allow additional areas to witness the immediate benefit of increased humanitarian assistance,” Griffiths said.

“Yemen remains at the crossroads between war and peace,” he added.

Yemen truce collapses and new battles around Hodeidah port started

Yemen’s army eliminates massive number of Houthis in five day fight
The truce in Yemen is collapsing with the renewed fighting around the port of HODEIDAH, the UN envoy to Yemen, Martin Griffith immediately reacted and warned in a very serious tone about the fightings, and how it threatens the peace plan in full, where the Houthis were supposed to withdraw from the port as well as two other ports on the Red Sea, which began last Monday but is now threatened.
The escalation comes a day after the Houthi attack on two Saudi oil installations using a marlin aircraft. He pointed out that the Yemeni government recognized by the United Nations is deeply suspicious about the commitment of the Huthis to withdraw from Hodeidah and other sites they agreed to withdraw from, adding that the clashes, which broke out shortly after the start of the withdrawal and included a mutual artillery shelling between government forces on the one hand and the Iranian-backed
Houthis on the other have left little opportunity to complete the deal.

With the withdrawal of the Houthis from the ports Yemen sees the hope of peace

US’s Plan to Enter the Peace Process Is Only For Gaining Benefits

The Yemeni government has asked the United Nations to provide time frames for the next steps in the peace process after Houthi forces began withdrawing from major ports to end the four-year-old war and stop hunger.

 

Under an agreement signed in Sweden last year, the Houthi group allied with Iran began a withdrawal on Saturday from three Red Sea ports used for grain, oil, trade, and aid.

 

Local coast guard forces were responsible for security in the Salif, Ras Issa, and Hodeidah ports, according to the United Nations, which oversees operations there.

 

Some officials of the internationally recognized government backed by Saudi Arabia called the withdrawal a “play” but government negotiator Sadiq Dweid acknowledged it was the beginning of the implementation of the Stockholm accord.

 

The war killed tens of thousands of people and pushed millions more to the brink of starvation.

 

Dweid said on Twitter late on Saturday that he had held a positive meeting with the UN chief in which they agreed that the withdrawal should create time frames for the implementation of a UN mechanism for ship inspection and “demining and armed manifestations.”

 

Although the Houthis’ move encouraged foreign forces to seek to reopen the humanitarian corridors, the Hodeidah fleeing residents said they were not prepared to return.

 

“I’m afraid of death,” said Sami, 11 years old, who lives with his family in the cemeteries in Aden.

 

“The war destroyed everything” we have no hope of security or work, said Abdel Rahman Taher, 34, who was forced out of his home in Hodeidah and now works in a car wash in Aden.