Yemeni legitimacy and UN mission discuss the Houthis’ violations

Yemen army person carrying gun

The Yemeni government team discussed with the head of the UN mission, General Abhijit Goha, on Thursday the serious escalation of Houthi militias and their repeated violations of the truce.

The military media of the joint forces mentioned in a statement that the meeting, which was held in the interim capital of Aden, dealt with the dangerous escalation by the Houthi militias who targeted a few days earlier by drones the headquarters of the government team and before the MSF hospital, as well as its attempt to bomb the city of Mocha with a number of ballistic missiles and flying aircraft, Before the Alliance’s air defenses and the combined forces could intercept and detonate them in the air

The meeting also stopped at the points of the violations of Houthi militias inside the city of Hodeidah since the activation of the truce mechanism and the installation of monitoring points.

According to the statement, the meeting discussed the need to open humanitarian crossings and implementation of the redeployment agreed under the supervision of the Redeployment Coordination Committee while avoiding any unilateral action, pointing out that the first phase of redeployment includes the withdrawal of Houthi militias from the ports and the city of Hodeidah.

Sources said that the UN Redeployment Commission, headed by General Guha, approved the holding of the bilateral meeting with the government team in Aden, because of the Houthi militias bombed the headquarters of the government redeployment team in the city of Mocha using ballistic missiles and drones.

Read more related articles about the yemen: https://www.yemenwatch.com/category/uncategorized/

UN team on track to inspect oil tanker off Yemen

yemen

A UN team will arrive to  Djibouti next week and will head to a four-year-old oil-filled floating tank that can blast anytime  in the Red Sea in western Yemen, said the United Nations

The United Nations Office for the Coordination of Humanitarian Affairs (OCHA) said in a tweet on (Twitter), on Thursday, that “the oil tanker (saphir) anchored off the coast of Yemen, can  explode anytime”

UN Under-Secretary-General for Humanitarian Affairs Ursula Muller said the UN assessment team will arrive to Djibouti from where it would travel to the tanker next week, stressing that cooperation from all was and will continue to be necessary.

Muller added that the oil tanker (Saffir) anchored off the coast of Yemen, if it explodes it will be a real environmental disaster, as it carries 1.1 million barrels of oil that will spill in the sea.

Warnings of an imminent environmental catastrophe escalated as the Houthi coup militia continued to prevent UN technical teams from maintaining the oil tanker, called a “floating bomb”, containing more than a million barrels of crude oil, and could explode off the coast of Yemen, which may cause one of the largest oil leaks in the world.

The legitimate government has warned more than once of a possible environmental disaster in the Red Sea Environment

The United Nations announces the suspension of a number of humanitarian programs in Yemen

yemen

The United Nations has been forced to halt a number of humanitarian programs in Yemen due to funding shortfalls.

Twenty-two life-saving programs will be closed in the next two months unless funding is received, said Human Rights Coordinator Liz Grande in a statement.

Donors’ promises, launched last February, have received less than half of them so far.

The United Nations had to suspend most immunization campaigns, halted the purchase of medicines, and suspended plans to build 30 new therapeutic feeding centers, 14 safe houses and other health facilities.

The statement warned of the possibility of reducing the quantities of food rations for 12 million people, and cut services to at least two and a half million children suffering from malnutrition.

In another context, the United Nations, recorded seven hundred and seventy-three deaths of cholera epidemic in Yemen, since the beginning of this year.

UNICEF said in a joint statement with the World Health Organization that it had detected five hundred and thirty-six thousand suspected cases of cholera.

The statement warned that the cholera outbreak in Yemen remains the largest outbreak in the world.

Since the beginning of this month, a six-day cholera vaccination campaign targeting some 400,000 people, including some 65,000 children under the age of fivehas been carried out in the governorates of Aden, Al Dhale’e and Taiz.

UN is investigates corruption and fraud in its agencies in Yemen

yemen

After a deep investigation conducted by The United Nations investigators in yemen and collection of corruption evidence and aid looting by different UN oganism and mainly from the World Health Organization.employees ,the investigators where surprised by Houthis militias arresting them at the Sanaa airport just before bording their plane , the houthis militias took all evidences gathered by the UN investigators team ,laptops drives pan drives.

More than a dozen U.N. aid workers deployed to deal with the wartime humanitarian crisis have been accused of joining with combatants on all sides to enrich themselves from the billions of dollars in donated aid flowing into the country.

 In the WORLD HEALTH ORGANIZATION  the UN investigators found that unqualified people were placed in high-paying jobs, millions of dollars were deposited in staffers’ personal bank accounts, dozens of suspicious contracts were approved without the proper paperwork, and tons of donated medicine and fuel went missing.

The UN investigators found evidence and proof of fraud and corruption on the UN organization :UNICEF, who allowed a Houthi rebel leader to travel in agency vehicles, shielding him from potential airstrikes by the Saudi-led coalition.

Over the past three months, the activists have been pushing for aid transparency in an online campaign called “Where Is The Money?” They demand that U.N. and international agencies provide financial reports on how the hundreds of millions of dollars pouring into Yemen since 2015 have been spent. Last year, the agency said international donors pledged $2 billion for humanitarian efforts in Yemen.

The U.N. has responded with an online campaign of its own called “Check Our Results,” showing programs implemented in Yemen. The campaign does not provide detailed financial reports on how aid money is spent.

A confidential report by a U.N. panel of experts on Yemen, said that Houthi authorities constantly pressure aid agencies, forcing them to hire loyalists, intimidating them with threats to revoke visas and aiming to control their movements and project implementation.

Officials said it’s unclear how many staffers may be aiding combatants. The officials said several incidents in recent years indicate the U.N. staffers are involved in the theft of aid supplies.

The United Nations calls for cease fire and negotiation in Yemen!

After the violent clashes that erupted few days ago in the vicinity of the Maasheq presidential palace in KRITER district in the city of Aden between the Presidential Guard forces and the Southern Transitional Council gunmen.

The United Nations  expressed grave concern over the recent escalation in the southern city of Aden because of the repercussions on the lives of the people of the region, calling on both parties to the conflict to stop fighting and start negotiations.

The ICRC delegation in Yemen has confirmed on its official Twitter account that 200,000 people in Aden have lost access to clean water, stressing the need to ensure that the wounded and sick have access to health facilities and the protection of health-care workers.

“It’s a matter of life and death,” they Said

UN Secretary-General Antonio Guterres called on both parties to the conflict, the internationally recognized forces of the Yemeni government, and other forces of the Southern Transitional Council, to stop hostilities and ensure the application and respect of international humanitarian law and human rights.

Guterres urged both sides to start a dialogue to resolve their differences and respond to the concerns of all Yemenis.

U.N. Yemen envoy ‘alarmed’ by military escalation in Aden

Yemen

Martin Griffiths, the special United Nation envoy for Yemen expressed concern about a few military step-up within the southern port town of Aden, the seat of Yemen’s internationally recognized government, and he needed dialogue.

“I am frightened by the military escalations in city nowadays, together with reports of clashes within the locality of the Presidential Palace. I am deeply involved by the recent rhetoric encouraging violence against Yemeni institutions,” he expressed on Twitter.Reuters

Yemen calls for investigations on the UN aid file

The Yemeni government called on Tuesday for declassification of UN investigations on corruption in the international aid file in Yemen

Information Minister Muammar al-Iryani said in a statement that the United Nations should review the operations carried out by its agencies in Yemen over the past years and make the results transparent.

Al-Iryani called for revealing the fate of hundreds of millions of dollars of food supplies, medicines and aid, while accusing the “Houthi” militias of stealing and looting the aid .

The minister said: “The internal investigation documents of the United Nations and the information gathered by the Associated Press from interviews with aid workers about the performance of the United Nations agencies, revealed the magnitude of the Houthi infiltration,

Political and financial corruption, nepotism and mismanagement of relief efforts in Yemen are a scandal that affects the reputation and balance of this organization.

The information contained in the investigation on the extent of corruption, cronyism, fraud, recruitment irregularities and the deposit of millions of dollars in aid to employees’ accounts, suspicious contracts, the disappearance of tons of food, medicine and fuel that end up delivered to the Houthis.

Al-Iryani pointed out that the investigation reveals the fate of billions of dollars allocated to humanitarian relief programs in Yemen since 2015, and confirms the government’s talk about the Houthis infiltration of UN agencies operating in their areas of control.

He renewed his demand for a transparent investigation into the financial and administrative corruption of its agencies in the country.

The government has repeatedly accused the Houthis of looting humanitarian aid in Yemen, saying the group was “stealing food from hungry mouths.”

YEMEN: UN official meet the houthis to discuss the conflict in a Meeting in Muscut

The Omani capital Muscat on Tuesday witnessed a bilateral meeting bringing together a UN official and a leader of the Huthis militias to discuss the Yemeni conflict.

The head of the Houthismilitias delegation, Mohamed Abdel Salam, discussed with Muscat Deputy Secretary-General of the United Nations in Yemen, MoinShraim, the proposals to overcome the stumbling block in the implementation of the agreement on the province of Hodeidah (west) ) And  the opening of Sanaa International Airport.

These talks are paving the way for a new round of consultations and the resumption of comprehensive political discussions and transitional arrangements.

The United Nations is struggling to find a political solution to end the houthis war in Yemen, which has made most of the population in need of humanitarian assistance.

On December 13, 2018, the government and the Houthis reached an agreement in Stockholm to deal with the situation in the coastal province of Hodeidah (west), as well as the exchange of prisoners and detainees.

But the implementation of the agreement faces many obstacles because of the houthis refusing to respect and apply all the conditions of the agreement.

UN report: 24.1 million Yemenis need humanitarian assistance

A report published by the United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees (UNHCR) said on Monday that malnutrition continues to affect millions of Yemen’s population for the fifth year in a row and remains a factor affecting their well-being, especially children.

“UNHCR continues to be active in providing assistance to internally displaced persons, returnees to their homes and members of the host community for displaced people throughout Yemen,” the report said, noting that “24.1 million Yemenis are in need of humanitarian assistance and 3.56 million have been displaced since March 2015 “He said.

“On July 17, UNHCR conducted a one-day mission to the governorate of Amran (south of Sana’a) to verify the construction of 23 multi-purpose shelters for IDPs in the province under Houthi rule since the end of 2014,” the report said.

For the fifth year in a row, Yemen is witnessing a war between pro-government forces and Huthi militants accused of receiving Iranian support and controlling the provinces, including the capital Sanaa since September 2014; since March 2015, an Arab military alliance led by Saudi Arabia has supported government forces Confrontation of the Houthis terrorists.

Yemen: NO withdrawal of Houthi from Hodeidah , NO UN inspection

The internationally recognized  Yemeni government tied on Wednesday the implementation of the  UN inspection and verification mechanism at the ports of Hodeidah  to the withdrawal of the Huthi militia from the Red Sea coastal city of Yemen.

No withdrawal no IVM

The Deputy Foreign Minister of Yemen, Mohammad Hadrami, said that the implementation of the mechanism “will only be achieved in the required way if  the implementation of the Hodeidah agreement (the withdrawal of Houthis from the city and ports of Hodeidah agreed upon the Stockholm Agreement) is implemented .”

Al-Hadrami warned of “the dangers of the deterioration of the status of Safer oil floating tank in the port of RasIssa in Hodeidah and the

Houthiscontiniousobstruction and opposition to the UN teams to reach it, despite the government’s efforts to avoid a serious environmental disaster that will affect Yemen and the whole region.”

The meeting discussed  the operation of  mechanism implementation in the ports of the Red Sea in accordance with the Stockholm Agreement and discussing the risks of the deterioration of the floating saafer tank in RasIssa.

The Yemeni Deputy Foreigne  Minister said that the  Houthis, “are responsible of the obstruction of the international assessment to  Saffar,” which contains more than one million barrels of oil, calling on the

United Nations to “bear its legal and moral responsibility and put pressure on the Houthis by all means.”

“The mechanism is keen to facilitate the smooth flow of goods and services to Yemeni ports while ensuring compliance with the arms embargo pursuant to UN Security Council Resolution 2216,” the head of the United Nations verification and inspection mechanism said. Praising the interaction and keenness of the legitimate government to address the status of the reservoir and provide all the necessary facilities for the United Nations team. “

The United Nations verification and inspection mechanism was established in Yemen in 2015 with the Alliance accusing the Houthis of smuggling Iranian missiles and weapons through Yemeni ports under their control, including Hodeidah.