UN: Control points have reduced violence in Hodeidah

Control points have reduced violence in Hodeidah

The United Nations said that the moves by the deployment teams headed by Indian General Abhijit Goha contributed significantly to reduce the level of violence in the province of Hodeidah in western Yemen.

The UN mission, said in a statement on Saturday night that the recent inauguration of five checkpoints on the front lines of fighting in Hodeidah has contributed to a marked reduction in the level of violence on the ground.

He commended the commitment of the parties to work through the truce mechanism and the strengthening of the ceasefire, which began last September on the UNSMIL vessel.

However, the statement drew attention to reports over the past few days of incidents involving new fortifications, troop movements and the use of drones “all contrary to the ceasefire agreements between the parties,” in reference to recent attacks by Houthi militias on one of them. By the march of the MSF hospital in Mocha.

General Guha called on both parties in Yemen to continue their engagement “jointly and in a spirit of goodwill” through the truce mechanism and the strengthening of the ceasefire to deal with incidents that may constitute an escalation of violence in Hodeidah.

He also underscored UNAMI’s commitment to support the Hodeidah Agreement in continuing to support the work of the parties through the mechanism. The Head of the UN Mission reiterated his call on the parties to desist from any actions that contradict the Stockholm Agreement.

The Hudaydah and West Coast fronts are witnessing a growing Houthi military escalation, including field and combat developments, attacks and bombardments, according to Yemeni joint forces.

On Saturday, Houthi militias resumed shelling and targeting in al-Duraimi and al-Jajah, following similar operations in the same district, al-Jah, al-Tahita and al-Faza area in al-Hudaydah province, west of Yemen, as part of their ongoing breaches of the UN truce.

The Yemeni joint forces, on the west coast, have warned of a Houthi plot to torpedo the peace process and the UN truce in Hodeidah.

The spokesman for the Joint Forces, Colonel Waddah Al-Dabeish, said that the pro-Iranian Houthi militias continue to practice their treacherous, cowardly and malicious tactics in procrastinating and repudiating any previous agreements, even with regard to the five observation points announced by the Indian General Abhijit Guha during the period 19. October 23, 2019.

Read more related articles about the yemen: https://www.yemenwatch.com/category/uncategorized/

UN sets the first point to monitor the ceasefire in Hodeidah

UN sets the first point to monitor the ceasefire in Hodeidah

A team from Yemen’s legitimate government, Houthi militias and others from the United Nations has begun deploying in the lines of contact in Hodeidah, pursuant to a plan to implement last year’s Swedish agreement on redeployment in the city and its ports.

A source said on Sunday that the tripartite committee began on Saturday to establish the first point of control on the lines of contact to be completed within a week.

After that, the rest of the plan will be implemented, which is to verify the exit of Houthi militia elements from the three ports (Hodeidah, Salif and Ras Issa), and the elements that took over the ports, and the repositioning of forces outside the city over 20 kilometers and 50 kilometers.

The source said that the head of the redeployment team, Indian General Abhijit Guha supervised the installation of the first observation point of the ceasefire in the first phase, which includes four points.

The Khamiri area south of Hodeidah witnessed the establishment of the first point to follow up on the ceasefire, according to the Swedish agreement and the findings of the joint committee.

According to the plan, it is expected to be the establishment of the second control points in the city of Saleh, on Sunday, with the third point in the area of Hosh al-Baqar overlooking the the fourth point in the scene.

Read more related articles about the yemen: https://www.yemenwatch.com/category/uncategorized/

Can US withdrawal from Yemen transform UN-led cease-fire into a lasting peace?

trump
Yemen, which has been battling to achieve normalcy for over a decade, is torn between two warring sides. One side is led by Iran-backed Houthi militants and the other is led by Saudi-backed Yemen’s ousted government. According to the UN, Yemen is undergoing the world’s worst humanitarian crisis, 60,000 non-combatants and combatants lost their lives during the crisis and more than 10 million are suffering from starvation.
Many US political analysts and political leaders, including the former US Vice  President Joe Biden, have unified their voice against US’s support to its ally  Saudi Arabia in the Yemen War. Last month, the critics of the Yemen crisis passed a war resolution to force US President Donald Trump to end US involvement in the war.
They argue, that with the US backing out, the number of killings and violence would decrease, and eventually, the war would end with a peaceful settlement. This version of the solution seems morally and strategically correct but how effective is it is the question. In all probability, this solution of ending US involvement is least likely to bring the Yemen war and its complications to an end.
Some of the political analysts of the Middle East region believe that neither the US and nor the withdrawal of Saudi forces would lead to a negotiated settlement. Instead, the fighting would continue, worsening cent Yemenis until one side (which currently seems to be won).
Ideally, both the sides would quit the war and come to the table, only when they see that none of them is winning in this war. Unfortunately, Yemen’s antagonistic forces haven’t reached that state of either exhaustion or realization.
On Thursday the US Senate failed to override resolution that would have required him to end the US backing Saudi forces in the Yemen crisis. Despite the loss, critics of the war pledged to keep fighting to end the US involvement. US needs to act quite contrary to the voice of those critics, which is rising in the corridors of US Senate, asking it to back off. The need of the hour increases the support for the Saudi forces to push down the militant extremists backed by Iran.
Houthis need to given an equal fight to make them honor their commitments to the UN and agree to disgorge most of their initial conquests.

UAE expresses support for UN envoy to Yemen

Abdullah bin Zayed Al Nahyan
UAE Foreign Minister Sheikh Abdullah bin Zayed Al Nahyan expressed his country’s support for the United Nations envoy to Yemen, Martin Griffith, stressing the need for a political solution to the conflict in Yemen.
During the meeting, Sheikh Abdullah bin Zayed al-Nahyan, US Secretary of State Mike Pompeo and John Bolton, national security adviser to the White House made the remarks during his official visit to the US capital.
“The UAE welcomes the continued cooperation with the United States in Yemen to confront the Iranian-backed Huthis and Al Qaeda in the Arabian Peninsula, which has launched numerous attacks on citizens and US interests,” he said.
The talks between the two countries dealt with cooperation between the two countries aimed at achieving prosperity, security and stability in the Middle East and various parts of the world through a common vision. Resolve the conflict in Yemen and work to promote stability and security in the region.
Sheikh Abdullah bin Zayed Al Nahyan stressed that the UAE and the United States of America have a strong friendship and alliance. “The firm partnership between our two countries is based on shared values
and aspiration to build a future of greater integration, peace and harmony among the societies of the region,” he said.
The redeployment of troops in Hodeidah as
a “constructive step”, stressing the UAE’s commitment to ensuring humanitarian access to Yemenis.